Thursday, September 22, 2011

Good Photos = Adopted Pets

Photos change how things are perceived. I judge cafes and hotels and other random things through the photos I see online every day. So it surprised me a bit when I stumbled across an article in PetaPixel, a photography blog that I subscribe to (and recommend to anyone who has an interest photography on various levels).

Photographer Helps Save Homeless Dogs Through Better Photography

This article is about a photographer who hates bad photos of dogs up for adoption and now does pro bono work taking adoption shots for a local dog shelter as well as teaching volunteers how to take good photos.



What surprised me was that I had never thought of this kind of volunteer work before. I know how powerful a good shot can be and I'm not a professional photographer, I'm just obsessed with my cat.

As most of you know, I have a cat. His name is Chicago and he's back in California with my parents, who were the original people adopted by Chicago.

Chicago-kun #1

He is the love of my life and he's possibly the most photogenic cat I have ever seen. Love distorts things, but it doesn't stop him from being gorgeous. I love him so much and he's so easy to take pictures of that a few years ago, I started Chicago's blog, which is still going, though I am late every once in a while.

Now, while I would like to doubt that anyone could make Chicago look bad, but there are ways and I speak from personal experience. Bad angles, cluttered background, just the wrong moment, and a fidgeting cat are just a few things that can lead to a bad photo. I've deleted a lot photos that made him look like less of the cat he is. I know how gorgeous Chicago is and I want the world to know how gorgeous Chicago is.

In the same way, the people who work at these shelters know how awesome the animals they have are, but they need good photos to show the rest of the world so these awesome animals can find their forever homes.

All you animal-loving (or at least pet-owning) photographers! Take pictures for a shelter. Teach volunteers.
People with photographer friends! Get them to volunteer.

This lady increased adoption rates by 100%. 100%. That's huge.

One good photo can save a life.

(via PetaPixel)

No comments:

Post a Comment