Monday, November 4, 2013

Creators Market


Picked up tickets for the Creators Market on December 7-8. Yay!

For one weekend twice a year, in June and December, literally thousands of creators come together in Nagoya at the convention center near the harbor to sell their work. Everything from art prints to jewelry to clothing to soap to furniture to stuff I don't know how to categorize.


In the two and a half years I had been living in Nagoya, I always seem to forget about the Creators Market until after already turning in my work schedule for that month (and due to the nature of my work, I typically work on weekends). 

Until this June, when a lucky coincidence left me free the same weekend as the summer Creators Market. Samantha, my regular creativity partner in crime, came over for the weekend to check it out with me. 

We were not prepared for what awaited us. One step into the first building and we stood dumbfounded by the sheer number of booths that spread out before us. 

Not wanting to miss anything, we started from one end of the building and slowly worked our way to the other. There was just so much. We both picked up some postcards and items from artists we each liked and I dropped by to say hi to an artist I befriended two years ago at a different art fair. He does kirie and is pretty cool. I had a fangirl spaz the first time I met him. 

After a few hours, which included several breaks, we finally got through the first building. Both completely tired from both walking and from self-restraint (countless things I wanted but knew I didn't need), we decided to go over to the second building where food trucks from local restaurants made a little food court outside. 

Upon entering the second building, we both hit a wall of information overload - proving that humans really do stop dead in their tracks when faced with more than they can comprehend. We accepted defeat, skipped over the hundreds of additional booths and went straight to the food trucks. Even after dinner and some rest, we knew it was time to go home. 

Not bad for a first run, we both got stuff we liked, got to watch some artists in action, and had our eyes opened to possibilities. It is inspiring to see people selling their work and sharing it with the world. But at the same time, there was a mix of the exhiliration of seeing people do what you want to do and the pressure that it is all on you to get off your butt and start working towards it.

Samantha will be joining me again into the foray of creativity abd this time we have a game plan that will be less draining. Can't wait!

LINK: Creators Market home page (Japanese)

No comments:

Post a Comment