Sunday, February 2, 2014

#MelKyoto2014: Epic Stationery Quest


If you've followed me on the blog, you know I went to Kyoto for a very specific reason, but since I gave myself four days in Kyoto, I thought about different things to do with my time and I looked into stationery stores in Kyoto. Being the traditional cultural center that Kyoto is, I knew I'd find some nice stores with history and beautiful paper.

Obsessive Stationery Disorder

After a bit of research, I found a lot of stationery stores just in the central shopping area of Shijo and Kawahara and I knew this would be a bigger undertaking than I originally assumed. Considering my collector and impulsive buying tendencies, I planned for two days of stationery shopping: one day for reconnaissance and one day for actual purchasing.

On Reconnaissance Day, I checked out the eleven stores on my list, jotted down the prices of things that really caught my eye, then spent a few hours in my hotel room, creating a shopping list and a game plan. On Shopping Day, I retraced my four hour walk from the day before and visited three more stores that I missed (would have been four, but it was closed on the weekends, my bad).


Each place had its own character and style. It was so much fun and with a little self-control, I kept the damage to my wallet to a minimum. I still came back with a lot of deliciously beautiful items.

I was going to continue this post with a picture from each store, but I was stupid and lost the rest of a very long post. So I will break up details of the haul in a few posts over the next few days.

I also want to look back on my Kyoto trip with a few more pictures. That may or may not happen. But the stationery will. (^_^)

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment