Thursday, August 28, 2014

Personal Trainer: Week Zero

When all is said and done, I got a personal trainer because I want to jump my little heart out at TOKIO's concert in November without having to worry about running out of steam.

Sure, a gym might be cheaper. Running is pretty much free. Using books and videos, I could train by myself. But I've done this dance before, many times, and it hasn't worked. I hate to be so cliche, but I'm not getting any younger.

I know I need to get into shape because climbing 60 stairs to transfer always gets me out of breath. Not so much that I opt for the escalator, but enough that it's that classic "Wow, I'm out of shape" at the top each time.

When it comes to gyms and running and self-instruction, I don't know what I'm doing right or wrong and I always hesitate to ask, so it always ends up as kind of "meh". I figured a personal trainer might be what I need to give me some guidance, direction, and motivation.

I looked at a few sites and found a place that is a five minute walk from a station I regularly use and it seemed to really push "toning bodies" rather than "losing weight" and that's a huge thing. Sure, I'd like to shed a few pounds, but my main goal is to become stronger and understand my body better. And yes, not just survive, but enjoy a three hour concert.

I scheduled a free trial lesson and it was great. For each time slot, they only take one student and it's one-on-one. The owner of the company did my trial lesson and he listened to everything I had to say in the counseling session, then in the actual training session, he pointed out how my body was wonky and what muscles were weak and showed me a few exercises we could do to work on those areas, while making sure I was doing the movements properly.

There is no way I would be able to figure it out myself plus the awesome fact that I don't have to. It was wonderfully stress free to be told I was doing something wrong rather than being unsure. Then feeling the difference after we fixed it.

With the cleanliness of the place, the convenience, the impeccable professionalism of their emails, and just how much lighter my shoulders were after a short session, I was sold. (And that was before he gave me a small balance ball and a pair of toe socks with treads as part of a campaign they're doing right now. Free stuff!)

I deposited the money for 8 lessons this morning and from here until November (first session is on Taichi's birthday!), I'll be doing weekly personal training sessions and attempting to do whatever they assign for me to do at home.

That's where this blog comes in. I plan to write my thoughts on each session and how things have possible changed simply for a record of my own, but I would love any input from those few readers I have. What are your feelings about personal trainers? Have you ever had one?

No comments:

Post a Comment