Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Personal Trainer: Session One (60 Days Until the Budokan)

I had my first real session today and started it off by waking up with just enough time to not be late. Note to self: Don't stay up late the night before a session.

SESSION ONE

For this session, we focused on my stiff shoulders and thighs and butt and toes. Lots of small movements but they all worked a bunch of muscles I haven't used in ages. Just like my trial lesson, I could feel a definite improvement. Little improvements, but I'm in it for the long run. Slow and steady.

FANGIRL MOTIVES

When we started, my trainer kindly asked about Leader's 24 Hour TV marathon and I answered with a big smile that I was moved to tears. No other details were added because my fangirl babble is either too obsessive for the regular public or simply incoherent. (On that note, Samancha, I apologize for my fangirl state on Monday.)

My trainer was really great about pointing out how the things we were working on would help me jump my little heart out at the concert. I'm still a bit embarrassed of my fangirl motives, but I'm glad I said it because we're moving in the same direction towards a clear and tangible goal.

THE PERKS OF A PERSONAL TRAINER

He checks my every move (encouraging me when I'm doing it right, correcting me when I do it wrong, and showing me again when I look confused) and explains how each exercise helps. Knowing my movements are correct and effective makes me want to do more because I know there will be results. It's not the hamster wheel of going nowhere that was going to the gym or attempting to do something on my own.

He sent me home with exercises to do at home until my next session and when I checked my inbox, there was an email with a summary of today's session along with a description of my homework and a reminder for my next session. Talk about making sure I stay on track. I like it!

Finally, awesome perk: each session ends with assisted stretches that have been more effective in relaxing my body than any massage I've ever had.

NOT ON A DIET

Sharing this online, I feel I should be clear: I'm still eating whatever I want (eating a damn good burger while I write this). First, more flexible muscles and being able to touch the floor. Then I'll look into eating more responsibly. Take away the joy of food from me and I will lose the will to live. Like I said, I'm in for the long race and there is no reason to sprint. Slow and steady because there is no end to this race.

PROGRESS REPORT LATER THIS WEEK

So far my legs are okay, but there will be pain tomorrow. I'll do my best to check in with how good or bad I've been with my homework. :)

I have a feeling I'll be sleeping well tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment