Thursday, December 10, 2015

Soreness Report: Forearms

So I didn't blog about it, but I went to a climbing gym for the first time in ages yesterday.

A humbling experience, as it tends to be. Almost no one boulders alone in this country. I am a top-roper. I have a fear of falling as well hurting myself on impact. And it's been at least three years since I last climbed.

So while my balance has improved, my core is much stronger, and I've dropped over 8kg since I last climbed, I still sucked. Not badly, but more than I expected. Disappointing.

Thankfully, with climbing, I hate giving up. So now it's time to see what I need to do.

I stopped yesterday because my fingers and palms were raw. The skin on my palms has grown weak, so it can't take as much punishment as it once did. No probs there. It'll get thicker and proper skin care will keep it soft to lessen the callouses and not feel rough.

Thicker mental skin when it comes to fear of falling will also come with practice.

Today, my forearms are sore and yesterday, they were the second biggest reason I stopped, while all the other muscles feel fine.

So there it is.

I need to remember how to use my core and legs more. Practice should fix that.

And I need to work on my grip to up my game.

Now that I think about it, we haven't really taken a look at my forearms. No need up until now.

I looked up a few exercises online and found some simple ones that don't require any equipment. Need to run them by my trainer, but when I tried them out I felt it in my currently sore forearms, so I'm optimistic.

If I get his seal of approval, I'm going to suggest them to my grandmother and mother who have both been concerned about losing strength in their grip. It should help me at work as well since I write so damn much.

Another example that goals provide direction and which makes coming up with game plans much easier.

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment